Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"Man" Takes Photos Wife Being Mauled by Cheetahs

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-05-07/news/31614425_1_cheetahs-neck-park-officials

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/05/safrica-man-photographs-cheetahs-attacking-wife/


A vacationing couple from Scotland had visited a game reserve in South Africa. One of the Cheetahs bit an 8 year-old girl's leg. Violet D'Mello, who happened to be there to celebrate her 60th birthday, stepped in to help the girl, and the Cheetahs turned on her. She was bitten several times over a period of about three minutes. During this event, her husband continued to take photos of the attack. A park employee eventually forced the Cheetahs off of the birthday girl with a stick.

I keep trying to convince myself that I have misread the articles.

“But the next thing I knew I was on the floor and the cheetah was right on top of me,” D’Mello told Britain’s The Daily Mail.

“It started scratching me really badly and then I could feel the other one come up too, and one of them got my neck in its mouth.”

“I was just screaming and trying to get my hands up around my neck to protect myself, but I was being bitten all over my legs and down my side near my kidneys.”

Archibald D’Mello said he was so stunned by the attack that he didn’t realize he had kept taking photos, which surfaced online on Friday.

A cheetah gets Violet D’Mello’s neck in his jaws during the attack. (Archibald D'Mello/ZUMAPRESS.com)

One of the horrific snapshots shows a cheetah gnawing on Violet’s neck.

In another, blood trickles from the back of her head as both cats lurk near her head."


What could possibly be going on in a man's head that would cause him to stand back and take photos of his wife, or anyone else for that matter, being injured by any person or animals? Was he simply a coward, or could he actually be that stupid?

Mr. D'Mello, naturally, had someone else to blame. The quote below leads me to think that he was more concerned with getting good documentation for the civil lawsuit that will likely follow this: 

"Her husband said he was angry that park officials told the couples the animals were safe to pet." [Come on man, these are wild animals. There is no way that you did not know that there was an element of danger while among them]

“The park said they didn’t know what had caused the cheetahs to attack but they shouldn’t let tourists in unless they’re sure it is safe,” he said."

According to the FoxNews article, the couple continued with their vacation, presumably yet inexplicably together, after Mrs. D'Mello was treated for her injuries. If I were Violet, I would have slapped my husband in the face and prepared to divorce him.

I often write about the decline of manliness in the West. In this case we do have a fine example of manliness - from Mrs. D'Mello. Her husband is either a sheep, a greedy lawsuit-seeking jerk, or a combination of the two. I don't buy the argument that he is simply a moron.


No comments:

Post a Comment